Skip to main content

Broken Record

I can’t believe it’s almost June!
Time flies when you're having...well I haven't really been having much fun lately, but time is still flying! ๐Ÿ˜…

My blog must sound like a broken record by this point...I'll be "doing well" for a few weeks, then I will inevitably feel as though I've fallen down a hole again. I'm back in the hole right now. My depression feels heavier than it has been in a long time. I struggle to leave the house some days. I withdraw, stuck in a loop of sad, sorry stories I've told myself so often that I've convinced myself they are true. "Nobody loves you" "Nobody cares about you" "You're a terrible mum" "Oscar deserves so much better than you" "You're a failure"...The critical voice inside my head is relentless and unforgiving, continuously kicking me when I'm down.

It's incredibly frustrating to be so self-aware, yet feel so paralyzed at the same time... To "know better", yet still feel so out of control. My addictions aren't as shameful and taboo as others' but they are still harmful...too much of anything is never a good thing...Why is it when we are hurting, that we turn to things that will ultimately hurt us even more?

And this is why I find myself going round in circles...I am hurting deep, down to my core. There's only so much distracting and suppressing you can do until there's just no more room left inside...you're left to sit with yourself and face your demons. I know what is at the root of my problems...every therapy session winds it's way back to it...what I don't know how to do is solve the problem. I feel like I've tried everything...honestly at this point I feel like some kind of shock therapy is my best bet! (kind of joking kind of not ๐Ÿ˜…)

I feel like such a schmuck...starting up a blog, a support group, trying to be a mental health advocate...and not even being able to be in control of my own mental health...
I wanted to reach that illusive destination of "recovery" and help others to get there too...instead I'm at home in my pyjamas at 2pm polishing off a block of chocolate. I'll smile and nod when people give me advice and then do the exact opposite. 

Maybe one day I'll hit the jackpot and everything will fall into place...Or maybe I just need to be more realistic and accept that my "recovery" will still include days like this. I'm not a complete mess after all, I have it together 50% of the time at least ๐Ÿ˜… 

Anyways, I know that my openness might feel uncomfortable for some, but I have found it so helpful to share and I thank those of you who have been supportive.

If you're in struggle town too, at least you know you're not alone...I hope things get better for us both ๐Ÿ’“




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I still go to church

Most (if not all) of you who know me will know that I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints (Mormon). Growing up,  I think I was the only Mormon at my school (besides my brothers). I wasn’t afraid or embarrassed to let people know, but I didn’t parade it around either. Especially as a teenager, being a member of the church and actively following my beliefs made me pretty “uncool” and I probably did stand out a bit because there were a lot of things that “everyone” was doing that I wasn’t.  I think for a lot of people who have grown up in religious families, those teenage years are really when you start to think for yourself and question your beliefs. Religious or not, its in our teenage years that we really begin to figure out who we are and what’s important to us. For me I think it was probably around the age of 15 that I “gained my testimony” which is a phrase used a lot at church but probably sounds strange to someone outside of it. Basically it means tha

Real life

I’ve been thinking a lot about what topic I should blog about next. Every idea I get I dismiss. I don’t know enough about that subject...nobody wants to hear about that...I’m struggling to think of something that I think people will enjoy or relate to. I think I’ve become a bit too focused on the audience and their opinions which wasn’t meant to be the main focus of this exercise. I wanted to be able to just start writing down my thoughts and feelings and for it to be an open book... for people to read and comment on if they choose. I started this blog because I felt like there wasn’t enough people being honest and showing a true representation of their lives on social media. Yet I find myself reading and rereading my blogs to make sure I haven’t offended anyone... to make sure I don’t sound like I’m complaining too much... cutting out parts that I think people will judge me on. Basically editing my blog to make it picture perfect and exactly what I didn’t want it to be ๐Ÿ˜… I’m sittin

“I get by with a little help from my friends”

I’ve never been diagnosed but I’m 99% sure I have social anxiety.  It’s not extreme to the point where I’m agoraphobic or have panic attacks, but I definitely do not feel comfortable in most social settings. I HATE being the centre of attention ๐Ÿ˜… As much as I loved my wedding day I did feel  uncomfortable having all eyes on me. I don’t like parties and especially don’t like hosting them. ๐Ÿ™ƒ Buuuut at the same time I don’t like spending too much time alone either. I have always valued my friends and made them a high priority in my life. Moving to Melbourne was challenging for a number of reasons and one of the biggest ones was not having any friends close by. I feel that the older I get the harder it is to “put myself out there” and make friends. Fortunately as a member of the church I automatically am part of a group of people I can make friends with. However, for someone like me who is not outgoing, it is still a challenge. I used to get so upset about losing friends but I’m now