Skip to main content

Sleep like a baby



Sleep has been one of the biggest challenges I’ve faced since becoming a mother. Oscar has always been very wakeful and only started “sleeping through the night” at 2 years old. Even now, process of “going to sleep” is still something that does not come easy for us.


Bringing up the topic of sleep is almost certain to result in suggestions such as: books, schedules, white noise, black-out blinds, “loveys”, sleep sacks, and all kinds of “techniques”.


When you’re desperate for sleep, you’re bound to try all the tools and “tricks” out there that promise to have your child “sleeping like a baby”. But the truth is baby sleep IS supposed to be wakeful! This is biologically normal and not something you can “train” them not to do. Just as we cannot teach our children to walk before they are developmentally ready, we can’t get them “sleeping through” before they are ready. They all get there in their own time, and until that happens it’s important for us as parents to respond to our children as they wake through the night.


Sleep training advice tells us we must teach our babies to “self soothe”. However, this is not physically possible for babies to do because that part of their brain is not developed enough yet. Our children learn to “self soothe” or regulate their emotions through repeatedly being soothed by us. 


I’m a big fan of the saying: “each to their own,” because we are all so different and what works for one won’t necessarily work for another. When it comes to sleep training though, I no longer feel comfortable using that phrase. I don’t judge those who have sleep trained...trust me, I get it...sleep deprivation is horrendous- you gotta do what you gotta do to get sleep, but....


Over the past 2 years I have studied and learned a LOT about infant sleep, attachment and mental health. The Beyond Sleep Training Project is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it to all parents who struggle with sleep. Despite how challenging it is to have a wakeful baby and to live off broken sleep- leaving a baby to cry is NOT the solution. 


Sleep training is a billion-dollar industry that profits off vulnerable, sleep-deprived parents. It is an industry built on misinformation and false promises, not to mention the impact it has on breastfeeding, attachment and mental health. 


I don’t have a problem with parents who have sleep trained their children.


What I DO have a problem with are the health professionals, services and “experts” that are still recommending these practices despite all the information we now have that highlights how problematic sleep training is. 



Every bone in my body screamed at me to stop and pick up my baby as we attempted to follow sleep training advice. I was left to cry myself to sleep as a child and I still carry that trauma with me today. You cannot tell me that is false because that trauma is triggered within me every time I hear my son cry.


If something feels wrong- it probably is. Trust your instincts not the “sleep experts”. 


We can do better. Our children need us to do better. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I still go to church

Most (if not all) of you who know me will know that I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints (Mormon). Growing up,  I think I was the only Mormon at my school (besides my brothers). I wasn’t afraid or embarrassed to let people know, but I didn’t parade it around either. Especially as a teenager, being a member of the church and actively following my beliefs made me pretty “uncool” and I probably did stand out a bit because there were a lot of things that “everyone” was doing that I wasn’t.  I think for a lot of people who have grown up in religious families, those teenage years are really when you start to think for yourself and question your beliefs. Religious or not, its in our teenage years that we really begin to figure out who we are and what’s important to us. For me I think it was probably around the age of 15 that I “gained my testimony” which is a phrase used a lot at church but probably sounds strange to someone outside of it. Basically it means tha

Real life

I’ve been thinking a lot about what topic I should blog about next. Every idea I get I dismiss. I don’t know enough about that subject...nobody wants to hear about that...I’m struggling to think of something that I think people will enjoy or relate to. I think I’ve become a bit too focused on the audience and their opinions which wasn’t meant to be the main focus of this exercise. I wanted to be able to just start writing down my thoughts and feelings and for it to be an open book... for people to read and comment on if they choose. I started this blog because I felt like there wasn’t enough people being honest and showing a true representation of their lives on social media. Yet I find myself reading and rereading my blogs to make sure I haven’t offended anyone... to make sure I don’t sound like I’m complaining too much... cutting out parts that I think people will judge me on. Basically editing my blog to make it picture perfect and exactly what I didn’t want it to be 😅 I’m sittin

“I get by with a little help from my friends”

I’ve never been diagnosed but I’m 99% sure I have social anxiety.  It’s not extreme to the point where I’m agoraphobic or have panic attacks, but I definitely do not feel comfortable in most social settings. I HATE being the centre of attention 😅 As much as I loved my wedding day I did feel  uncomfortable having all eyes on me. I don’t like parties and especially don’t like hosting them. 🙃 Buuuut at the same time I don’t like spending too much time alone either. I have always valued my friends and made them a high priority in my life. Moving to Melbourne was challenging for a number of reasons and one of the biggest ones was not having any friends close by. I feel that the older I get the harder it is to “put myself out there” and make friends. Fortunately as a member of the church I automatically am part of a group of people I can make friends with. However, for someone like me who is not outgoing, it is still a challenge. I used to get so upset about losing friends but I’m now